Its ok to have YOU time
Do you remember the last time you had YOU time? I’m not talking about escaping to the toilet and hiding for an extra 5mins to use your phone . . . when was the last time you spent at least 10mins doing something just for YOU?
After going to the darkside and fighting all hell to get myself better, I understand and appreciate the importance of taking time out. Yesterday I arrived back home after taking myself on a 1 week rejuvenation and healing holiday to “Bliss Sanctuary for Women” in Bali. I had a string of bad news and tough experiences and knew that I needed to stay on top of my Mental Health, I needed to have some Mel time. I felt comfortable knowing that my husband will be ok making his own lunch and wiping his own ass for a week, so
I decided to be selfish and worry about ME
Going to Bliss was the best thing I’ve done in years, I learnt meditation, practised yoga, met amazing women and saw ‘healers’ for the first time in my life. I have always believed in the spiritual life after having two amazing encounters with my deceased Grandma, but what I learnt from these healers has truly changed my life. If you can afford a week away by yourself, I highly suggest doing it. Your path in life becomes clearer, your mind is refocused and you will come back refreshed and ready to face anything thrown at you. Don’t hesitate, don’t worry about how the world will revolve without you in it for a week . . . just be selfish and look after yourself.
If you can’t afford a week away and you don’t have any time off, I’ve included a list of tasks and ideas that I implement as much as I can. Ideally you’d do 1 task daily, your mental health needs to become a top priority. Some of these are obvious options, but ask yourself . . .when was the last time I did it?
Things to do: Relax. YOU time. Unwind. Re-focus. Be Happy.
- Run a bath, light candles and let yourself relax and zone out for 10mins.
- Buy some fresh flowers and put them in a place where you will see them clearly.
- Light incense and sit there for 7mins doing 20 deep breaths.
- Put your favourite song on repeat and listen to it 5 times in a row.
- Print off a weekly quote that inspires you and stick it on the wall to see when you wake up.
- Sit outside and read your favourite magazine.
- Book in for a massage.
- Have some “alone” time with yourself in the bedroom. (yes, I’m telling you to masturbate)
- Spend 10 minutes flipping through your photo albums . . . not the albums on your iphone . . old school print out albums and if you don’t have one, make one.
- Book in to see a healer or psychic.
- Have a glass of wine and cook a new recipe that you’ve been meaning to do, and not a meal to suit the family . . . a meal that YOU want to cook for YOU to try.
- Go to the hairdresser.
- Book in to get hair and make-up done for your next special event.
- Book a nights accommodation on sale and just relax.
- Re-arrange your bedroom. Buy new linen.
- Treat yourself to Gold Class.
- Go shopping, in real life or online.
- Go to your favourite restaurant.
- Write in a journal.
- Plan your next holiday.
- Get a spray tan.
- Try a new herbal tea, make yourself a pot and sit in the fresh air.
- Sort through your wardrobe and create new outfits by mixing and matching.
- Sit on the beach for 15mins and just let your mind go wherever it wants.
- Watch your favourite TV show without interruption and without social media.
- Treat yourself to new pyjamas or house casuals, if you are living in a hectic house you are still allowed to do it in comfort.
- Lie in the sun for 10-15mins, just feel the warmth and let it relax you.
- Day dream. I love spending 15mins thinking about which Hollywood actor is totally going to fall in love with me in my imaginary land.
- Do exercise that you enjoy. Walking. Yoga. Just as long as you enjoy it and it doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Book in a cleaner as a special treat to give you a break.
- Go to lunch with your girlfriends. Daddy can have the kids while mummy unwinds.
- Start to sneakily put away $10-$20 a week and spoil yourself when you’ve built up enough to buy what you want.
- Find a hobby. Something you are passionate about or something you enjoy to keep you calm and relaxed. Making jewellery? Writing poems? Playing an Instrument? Painting?
- Get a manicure or pedicure.
- Write a blog
- Use your support network to get the kids and husband babysat for a few hours.
- Get creative and think about an app or online business that reflects YOU.
- Spend 10mins watching cute animal videos on youtube
You deserve a happy and healthy life.